So right now, I'm sat in an internet cafe in Bristol. We haven't got internet in our new house yet. I've made the extra commitment to update the blog because when I first started, I made it my aim to write a minimum of two posts each month. So seeing that today is the 31st, this one just had to be done! So the summer break is pretty much over for me now. I travelled back to Bristol this afternoon. Trips from home back to Bristol tend to be ones of excitement. Thoughts about the exciting possibilities of the coming term/year...whether on the course, the Christian Union, friends, meeting new people, socialising, etc. But I can't help feel that the excitement I feel this time round is not on the same levels as in the past. I still do feel excited about the coming term but it's excitement tinged with a hint of fear. Fear of the unknown. The coming term (and year infact) promise to be busy, challenging and decisive in many respects though my thoughts are focused mainly on the academic side of things.
Each university year is busy (coursewise) and because this is my final year, I expect it to be alot busier than the previous two. Only thing is, I don't know how busy it'll ACTUALLY be. When I soon come to that realisation, various non-academic things I'm involved with would either have to be dropped completely or they'll instead have to be done in lesser amounts. As I've thought about this over the summer, my conclusion has been: I need tonnes of wisdom on this.
I expect my dissertation to be my most challenging piece of work this year. 12,000 words trying to explain 'the effects of contemporary Chinese economic relations with Africa' will be very interesting though I can already see myself being tested in ways that I may not have been before. With the pressure of research deadlines, how will my Christian Union attendance be affected? Or will I be able to spend time with friends, especially on a one-to-one level? And what about helping out with the young people at church on Sunday evenings? Will uni work become my excuse for opting out of various non-academic activities during the year? The word 'prioritisation' comes to mind. And the year promises to be decisive in the sense that three-quarters of my final degree grading are determined this year. No pressure!
If I'm honest, I feel the weakness in myself so strongly ... which is BRILLIANT! Brilliant because it's been a great reminder to me of the fact that I'm ultimately not in charge. I do not know how the year will go but my God does! It reminds me to rest on the Rock that is Christ my Saviour. And I know that I can trust in His promises. I'm learning to trust His promises over and over again everyday. You never fully arrive as a Christian! Until heaven ofcourse. How I pray that I glorify Him in all areas of my life, my course included.
This verse from Isaiah really does encourage my soul:
'So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.'
ISAIAH 41:10
© Chipo Muwowo. August 2010. Bristol, United Kingdom.
No comments:
Post a Comment